Tuesday

Tarasca... Kinda...


So, a while back, one of my favourite chef's 86'd one of my favourite soups from one of my favourite spots.

Yes, Jose, I'm looking at you.

When I was biding my time at the Smithsonian, I would make it a weekly occurance to visit those kids at Oyamel on 7th in Penn Quarter.  Four dollar tacos and I only need three.  Jay-Z, use that and rap something fierce.

Well, when I was feeling extra decadent, I'd pre-empt with the black bean soup.  It's fucking amazing.  They serve it with some rich cream drizzled atop with accoutrement. Charred peppers, avocado and tortilla strips.  It was the single dish that convinced me that I really might like avocado.  Aside from guacamole.  

It got to the point where I would actually crave the soup.  On this particular day, it was all I could think about.  I'd psyched myself up, thinking about all the good fat I was going to get from the avocado, crunching up more chips to add when the strips ran out, and the sheer fun of scraping the charred pepper into the bowl.

You can imagine my sincere disappointment when I was told it was no longer on the menu.  I think I may have gone into shock.  I sat, dumbfounded, for more than a few seconds.  That childhood disappointment when no alternative will do.  No matter what it is.  I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure I had a taco for show and wiped away a tear as I finished my glass of wine too quickly and slinked out of the restaurant. Favourite dish deprivation is serious, y'all.  It's SERIOUS. 

So I tried to recreate it on my own.  Spontaneously. Due to the sale Giant was having on Haas avocados.  Just like that, BAM!  I had a hankering.  I wanted black bean soup and I wanted it NOW! I would usually soak my black beans, but hell to the no, that would take far too long, so Goya stepped in. Once the shortcuts* started, they just kept coming.  Jose might give me the stink eye, but Sandra Lee would clap gleefully and ask me about cocktail time.  

1 large can Goya black beans
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 medium onion, chopped
taco seasoning* 
leftover ham hock
bacon fat (sorry... use olive oil if you don't want to go here)

*right?! 

Add bacon fat to dutch oven to melt then add chopped onions.  Sweat until translucent then add ham hock (mine was leftover from collards I made earlier that day.... yeah it was a party up in hurrrr).  Add black beans (sauce in can and all), chicken stock and seasoning and simmer for about an hour.  Remove ham hock and roughly blend.  Add back to dutch oven and taste to make sure seasoning is just right.

Serve with sliced avocado, tortilla strips and a bit of plain greek yogurt.

Enjoy. 

p.s. I heard the soup is back on the menu.  Thanks, Jose!

No comments:

Post a Comment