Wednesday

Booty Call



I got stood up! OK. Not really.

Lily and I were going to get together for some girl time. Complete with howling, cackling laughter, swirly swishy cocktails inspired by girlie cable shows, and whispers of scandalous secrets in a loud ass bar even though no one is listening and no one cares.

But the evilennes of the work world kept her hostage this eve, so the Carrie Chronicles were postponed for later this week.

In the meantime, my fridge sparse, Mama was getting noshy (don't bother looking this up on urban dictionary, the definition is wrong). As much as I hadn't wanted to, I was relying on the flatbreads and apps on which I was inevitably going to indulge at said loud bar to nourish me for the eve.  I needed something easy; complete with ingredients already in my arsenal, preferably without need for a deep defrost.

Kale and Onion Quiche it is. Why? It just worked, alright? Everything was there. Just staring me in the face.

I had about 3/4 of a sheet of puff pastry, basically not enough to make a proper 8"pie base. So a rustic interpretation it was, and honestly I kind of fell in love.  It had this Medieval, Tudor, Should Totally Be Filled With Quail Or Some Weird Shit Like That look about it.  Well, Babette isn't in my kitchen tonight, so this won out:

2 squares Dufour pastry sheets (1/2 package)
1/4 medium onion
1 cup of kale
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1/4 cup jarlsberg cheese (I would have used a gruyere, but jarlsberg was what graced the commissary and gruyere is expensive!  ahh, the good ole days)

slowly melt butter in a skillet until lovely, melted, and bubbling.  Add onion... sautee until transluscent.  Add kale and season with salt, pepper, cayenne and a dash of nutmeg.  Let cool.

Whisk together eggs and milk.

In the meantime, arrange pastry sheets in a shallow baking dish with edges hanging over the edge.  Line with aluminum foil and fill with beans for pre-baking.  Bake for 15 minutes at 350F, then remove from oven and let cool.

Combine the kale and onions to the egg mixture (all should be cool by now) and mix evenly.  Fill the pastry with  mixture and top with jarlsberg (or gruyere if you're flossing) and bake until quiche is firm and top is golden brown.

Enjoy.

Serves 6 modestly.

The Deal:
Calories: 256; Fat: 19g; Protein: 7g; Carbohydrates: 12g
per serving

No comments:

Post a Comment