Friday

Chicken Fried Mellie


I can't even lie. I've been secretly making my way through D.C. making a self certified list of the best fried chicken this city has to offer.  I have yet to branch out beyond the comforts of the DMV (with the exception of Roscoe's and my Aunt Sanny's kitchen), but I'm sure I'll get there. Persevere! My father always said. I'm going to go ahead and state this disclaimer right now. These tastings and evaluations omit the fried chicken recipe of a Ms. Saundra Jean.  I repeat, THESE TASTINGS AND EVALUATIONS OMIT THE FRIED CHICKEN RECIPE OF A MS. SAUNDRA JEAN.  Known to me as Aunt Sanny.  Aunt Sanny makes the best fried chicken IN THE WORLD you will want to kill yourself after eating it because nothing in your future will ever compare to the Godliness that is her chicken.  That is all.

So, in this post, I'm highlighting two exceptional contenders.  Should we have a cook off??  Should I ask your opinions???  First up, the Hitching Post.  It's a little neighborhood establishment that's been around for some time.  Barry runs the place now and has kept the good Southern recipes that made the joint so enamoured in the first place.  All for a bang of the buck.  The chicken reminds me of that casual Sunday after church.  For some reason, a little sermon before your wings and thighs makes it taste that much better. Hitching Post's chicken is crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside as it should be with just the right basic seasonings.  There is a hint of heat and smokiness that I can't quite put my finger on, but it gives the bird some depth.  Definitely a recipe that holds well in the fridge and is a delight served cold.  Pack a picnic of cold fried chicken, lemon cookies and plums.. I've always wanted to do this.  Ever since I jacked the idea from Cara Walker.  She packed that very same picnic to woo Steven Wakefield.  And the shit worked.

Second up, Pearl Dive Oyster Palace.  You heard right.  What does an oyster palace know about fried chicken?  Oh, Lawd, everything.  Everything.  I'm dreaming about it right now.  It's super super crispy and is heaven on first bite.  Good for us, they damn near give you a whole chicken to enjoy.  The Pennsylvania Amish Chicken Dinner.  I can't order it without screeching, "Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!".  It's gotten a few side eyes as of late.  I admit it.  This chicken is cooked twice, as we all saw the process on Eat the Street with Chuck Whatshisface.  There are no surprises here, no inventive additions, no odd seasonings, just classic goodness.  I can't wait until I'm able to order it again.  My jeans won't let me this week.

So instead, (because the more I eat it, the more I crave it) I'm going to go a semi healthy route and try a recipe I came across online.  I have no idea where I found it, but pretty sure I tweaked it along the way, so no coming after me for infringement.  Yet another "oven fried chicken".

Place some chicken breasts (I'm using tenders) in a shallow glass container of milk and refrigerate overnight. About half a pound? I guess? Presumably one cup? I'm pretty positive that's what I used... check out the photo.. Oh Goodness....



8oz chicken tenders
1/3 cup of panko bread crumbs
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
salt, pepper, cayenne.. to taste

Preheat oven to 425. Toast panko until golden brown in a heated skillet.  Add panko, finely chopped walnuts, parmesan, dry mustard, chopped rosemary, salt, pepper and cayenne to bowl and whisk together.

Remove chicken from milk and dredge in panko/walnut mixture and place on a wire or mesh rack on a baking sheet.  Bake for about 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

Enjoy!

The Deal:
Calories: 309; Fat:15g; Protein:32g; Carbohydrates:11g
per serving; serves 2

No comments:

Post a Comment