Sunday

A Week Without Waste: Day Five

Shut up.  We've done it.  Not a single thing in the fridge fermenting, turning unnatural colours, or growing legs and walking out altogether.  I'm so jazzed I can hardly stand it.  Here's what's left:

mustard greens
romaine leaves
acorn squash
turnips
red potatoes
yukon gold potatoes
pink lady apples
spring onions
eggs
ground buffalo
bacon
milk
yogurt

not much one can do with 2 ingredients but combine them together and hope for the best.  I know the bacon fad is long over and the bastardization of the single entity that stands between me and a vegetarian lifestyle still irritates me, but there is no questioning it.  Bacon makes everything better.  Which is why I saved this particular ingredient for the lone mustard greens.  Do you remember when you didn't like brussels sprouts until someone roasted them and added bacon?  Yeah.  Remember when a grilled cheese was just goo between bread until you added bacon and tomato?  Yeah.  You know how pancakes are just uber sweet without that salty bacon back flavor?  Yeah. 

I'm not going to go all mainstream and declare bacon the new IT ingredient (so 2008) and I won't even mention that I was using bacon as garnish in my bourbon YEARS ago.  I'm not going to explain that everytime a friend sees some ridiculous pairing of bacon with a random (lip balm?  seriously?) I immediately get an email or a photo via text message.  Won't even tell you how I'll squeeze onto the sofa next to Mandeep warning him, "move over bacon, here comes something leaner" (those in their 30s will remember that one).  No, no, I'll shut up about that and stick to the facts. 


Well, here goes.  Super simple, super delicious.

Crisp up the bacon in a pan then set aside.  Use the drippings from the bacon to sautee a bit of onion and garlic (these are staples people) then add the mustard greens.  

Soften a bit before adding water or chicken stock.  Simmer for about 30 minutes. Prepare brown or white rice (depending on gluten tolerance... I got you, Hasselbeck) and mix in the greens.  

Garnish with crumbled bacon.






The Deal:
Calories: 221; Fat: 8g; Protein: 12g; Carbs; 25g

1 comment:

  1. wow, I'm impressed by your ability to come up with healthy, delicious-looking recipes on a budget! I'm not a cook at all but your food sure looks good an easy to make.

    ReplyDelete